How do I choose the right SSL certificate in Nigeria? If you are struggling with that, you’ve come to the right place.
SSL Certification is a type of encryption technology that enables secure communication between two systems connected over the internet.
It protects sensitive data like credit card numbers, passwords, and personal information from interception.
It has become increasingly important to secure your website or application in today’s world. SSL certificates provide a layer of trust and assurance to customers transacting with your website, increasing their confidence in the site’s security.
Benefits of SSL Certificate in Nigeria
Did you know that 85% of cybersecurity breaches are caused by human error (Verizon)?
And that error includes not installing an SSL. There are many benefits to installing an SSL certificate on your website. Here are some of the most important ones:
Increased security for websites and users
An SSL certificate helps to protect user data by encrypting it so that hackers cannot intercept it.
It also helps to protect the website from being hacked by providing an extra layer of security.
Improved trust with customers
Customers are more likely to trust a website with an SSL certificate installed as it indicates that the website is secure and their data is safe.
Improved search engine rankings
Search engines like Google prefer websites with SSL certificates, as they are more secure and trustworthy.
SSL helps you satisfy PCI/DSS requirements
If you accept credit card payments on your website, then you must have an SSL certificate installed to comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI/DSS).
Types of SSL Certificates Available in Nigeria
There are three main types of SSL certificates available in Nigeria: Domain validated (DV) certificates, Organization validated (OV) certificates, and Extended Validation (EV) certificates.
- Domain validated (DV) certificates are the most basic type of SSL certificate and are the easiest to obtain. They validate the domain name only and are typically used for basic security.
- Organization validated (OV) certificates are slightly more secure than DV certificates, as they validate the organization’s domain name and identity. This type of certificate provides an added level of trust to customers.
- Extended Validation (EV) certificates are the most secure type of certificate and provide customers the highest level of trust. To obtain an EV certificate, the organization must undergo a rigorous validation process verifying their identity.
You can choose one based on type of validation you want.
But you can also choose based on the number of domains you want to secure.
Wildcard SSL is an ideal option for businesses with multiple subdomains, as it provides a single certificate that can be used for an unlimited number of subdomains.
This type of SSL is especially beneficial for businesses with multiple websites, as it helps to simplify the process of managing the SSL certificates and keeps costs down.
This is a great option for businesses with multiple websites with different domain names, as it allows the certificate to cover multiple domains.
Single Domain SSL
Single Domain SSL is the most basic type of SSL available, and it provides encryption for a single domain. This type of SSL certificate is a great option for businesses that only have one website and need encryption for that one domain.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an SSL Certificate
When selecting an SSL certificate, there are a few factors that you should consider:
- Validation requirements: Depending on the type of SSL certificate you require, different levels of validation are necessary. If you want th lowest validation, a DV will work. But if you want the highest validation, an EV is the best.
- Cost: SSL certificates can vary in price depending on the type and features. Be sure to compare different certificates to find the best deal.
- Encryption strength: The strength of the encryption used by an SSL certificate will be an important factor in choosing one. The stronger the encryption, the more secure your data will be.
- Server compatibility: Make sure to check that the SSL certificate is compatible with your server before making a purchase.
In conclusion, choosing the right SSL certificate in Nigeria is an important step in ensuring the security of your website and the data of your customers.
With the right certificate, you can provide a secure and trusted environment for your customers to transact.
It is important to take the time to research different certificates and understand your validation requirements to select the best one for your needs.