OLX is the biggest classifieds platform in Nigeria with over 50 million monthly users.
OLX allows users to post free ads to buy and sell products and services across vehicles, real estate, jobs, electronics and more.
OLX has become the go-to online marketplace for Nigerians given its easy listing process, wide selection and popularity across the country. This guide provides a detailed look at how to effectively use OLX Nigeria to buy or sell as a user.
We cover the key topics:
- Overview of OLX Nigeria
- Posting an Ad to Sell on OLX
- Buying on OLX Nigeria
- Safety Tips for OLX Users
- OLX Selling Tips
- Scam Avoidance on OLX
- OLX Alternatives in Nigeria
Overview of OLX Nigeria
OLX first launched in Nigeria in 2012 and has since become the most popular digital classifieds platform. Some key facts about OLX Nigeria:
- Brand awareness – Over 80% of Nigeria’s internet users are aware of OLX (Source)
- Listings – Over 15 million listings on OLX Nigeria across diverse categories
- App downloads – OLX Nigeria app downloaded over 13 million times on Play Store
- Monthly users – Over 50 million monthly visitors on web and app (Source)
- Countries – Operates in over 40 countries including Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana, Tanzania
- Ownership – OLX Group owned by Prosus, an internet conglomerate
The huge adoption of OLX for online classifieds has been driven by the rising internet penetration in Nigeria. OLX offers a platform for buying and selling that is free, easy to use and safe.
Posting an Ad to Sell on OLX
Posting a sales ad on OLX Nigeria is simple and completely free. Follow these steps:
Step 1: Register on OLX
- Go to www.olx.com.ng and click on “Register”
- Enter your email ID and choose a password
- You can also optionally register via Google or Facebook
Step 2: Create Your Ad
- Click on “Post Your Ad” on the top menu
- Select the category of your ad e.g. cars, real estate, mobile phones etc
- Enter the ad title, description, price, photos
- Choose the ad location on the map
- Preview your ad and click “Post”
Step 3: Verify Your Phone Number
- OLX will send an SMS with a 4-digit verification code
- Enter this code to verify your phone number
- This adds credibility for buyers contacting you
Once posted, your ad will be live on OLX for 45 days. You can renew it later if your item doesn’t sell.
Buying on OLX Nigeria
OLX makes shopping for used goods, new items and real estate convenient. Follow these tips for buying safely on OLX:
Search for Products
- Use the search bar to find ads for the item you want to buy
- Filter by price, location, ad date to narrow options
- Save searches to get notified of new matching listings
Contact the Seller
- Click on “Show number” on the ad to see the seller’s phone
- Call the seller to ask questions and negotiate price
- Chat via the in-app OLX messaging if number isn’t shown
Arrange In-Person Inspection
- Vehicles – Test drive cars, bikes at seller’s location
- Real estate – Visit & inspect property before buying
- Electronics – Check working condition before purchase
Finalize the Deal
- Confirm price and agree on payment method
- Pay securely via bank transfer, card, cash etc
- Ensure you get receipt while handing over payment
- Collect the product once full payment is made
OLX offers buyers the advantage of browsing from home but transacting in-person.
Safety Tips for OLX Users
To have a safe experience on OLX Nigeria, follow these precautions:
- Insist on meeting in a public place when buying
- Take a friend or family member when inspecting high-value items
- Verify paperwork for vehicles, real estate before finalizing deals
- Only make payments once you receive the product
- Be wary of suspicious ads with prices too good to be true
- Trust your gut feeling and walk away from shady dealings
- Don’t entertain callers asking for registration fees for other platforms
- Don’t share personal or banking details on OLX chat
Following basic safety measures will help you avoid scams and transactions with fraudulent sellers.
OLX Selling Tips
To maximize your chances of selling quickly on OLX, use these tips:
Create a Descriptive Ad
- Write an eye-catching headline and detailed description
- Include key details like model, year, variant, specs, features etc
- Use relevant keywords in title and description for visibility
Add Good Quality Photos
- Include high-resolution photos showing all angles and details
- Ensure proper lighting and background for clear product view
- Add up to 12 photos to give buyers a comprehensive view
- Research current market rates for the product on OLX and offline
- Price slightly lower than competition to improve response
- Mention if the price is negotiable in the ad
Respond Quickly to Queries
- Download the OLX app to get instant notifications of messages
- Respond promptly to buyer queries and negotiate politely
Following these best practices will get you more interested buyers and maximize the chances of selling your item quickly.
Scam Avoidance on OLX
While OLX offers a trusted platform, users should be aware of some common scams and frauds. Here are tips to recognize and avoid scams on OLX:
Advance Payment Requests
Avoid sellers asking for upfront payment via bank transfer before you can see or test the product. Insist on inspecting items first.
Be wary of buyers who send excess payment and ask you to transfer back the difference. This is a fake payment scam.
Ignore calls asking you to pay a fee to verify your OLX account. OLX does not charge registration or verification fees.
Scammers may impersonate OLX staff and ask for login details or to click suspicious links. OLX never asks for passwords.
Too Good to be True
Extremely cheap prices on houses, cars and phones can indicate fraudulent ads. Google image search the photos to spot fake ads.
Exercising caution, meeting in public places and not paying in advance can help you stay safe on OLX.
OLX Alternatives in Nigeria
While OLX is the most popular classifieds site in Nigeria, here are some alternative platforms:
- Jiji – Wide selection of new and used goods listed by sellers
- Craigslist – Primarily focused on real estate rentals and sales
- PropertyPro – Leading real estate listings site in Nigeria
- Carmudi – Specialized in car sales and listing vehicles
- sellers.ng – Online marketplace for made-in-Nigeria products
These sites can be good alternatives for niche products not easily found on OLX. However, OLX retains the advantage of higher consumer awareness and listings in Nigeria.
- OLX is the largest online classifieds platform in Nigeria with over 50 million monthly visitors.
- Posting an ad to sell on OLX is free and simple. Add a detailed description, quality photos and competitive prices for best results.
- For buyers, OLX allows conveniently searching for used items and real estate from home. However, meet sellers in public places and inspect items first before buying.
- Use precautions like avoiding advance payments and ignoring fake admin calls to avoid common OLX scams.
- Alternatives like Jiji, Craigslist and PropertyPro can also be used but OLX has the highest visibility and listings.
- Overall, OLX provides the most popular marketplace to buy and sell goods across vehicles, real estate, electronics and more in Nigeria.
OLX, an online marketplace owned by Naspers, has shut down its offices in Nigeria, which will affect over 100 employees.
The reasons for the shutdown are not entirely clear, but it is believed to be due to the high cost of data, poor internet penetration and adoption, as well as economic recession.
OLX has also shut down its operations in Ghana and Kenya.
OLX has become ingrained in the ecommerce landscape in Nigeria as the go-to classifieds platform for millions of buyers and sellers. For sellers, OLX offers a free and easy way to reach a vast audience of buyers for secondhand goods, cars and properties.
Buyers can search OLX conveniently from home but should take precautions and only finalize deals after public inspections of items. Avoiding common scams also requires exercising due diligence with payments and avoiding suspicious buyers and sellers.
OLX continues to hold pole position as the leading digital marketplace for goods exchange in Nigeria. The huge listings across diverse product categories, easy ad posting process and popularity amongst consumers has driven strong adoption. OLX remains the classifieds platform of choice for most Nigerians.